Mission & Philosophy
Sheridan School’s mission is to create an inclusive, vibrant learning community. We take joy in learning, show kindness and empathy towards others, embrace new experiences and ideas, and continually seek a deeper and fuller understanding of the world. We seek to inspire self-knowledge, intellectual discipline and personal integrity in our community members. At both our city and mountain campuses, the Sheridan community challenges itself to live the ideal of respect for oneself, others and the environment.
To nurture and challenge all learners, Sheridan School:
- Educates the whole child: intellectual, social, physical and emotional;
- Creates a safe learning environment in which students feel known and understood;
- Fosters close, supportive relationships between all members of the community: families, teachers, administrators, staff and students;
- Maintains high academic standards while respecting the pace of child development;
- Challenges students to think critically, creatively, and conceptually;
- Provides hands-on, engaging, authentic learning experiences that challenge students to wrestle with big ideas and their own assumptions;
- Embraces collaborative learning;
- Challenges prejudice, embraces difference and teaches children to view the world from multiple perspectives;
- Supports students’ inquiry and self-reflection;
- Emphasizes the learning process; and
- Provides specific, ongoing feedback on students’ learning and personal growth.
We believe that a diverse and inclusive learning environment is integral to achieving academic excellence. Sheridan’s commitment to diversity is grounded in our school mission and the principles of progressive education. We offer a curriculum that promotes social justice and challenges prejudice, within a school culture that embraces and celebrates difference. We recognize and value the experiences that diversity of gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic class, family structure, age and ability within our school community contributes to a Sheridan education. We ultimately strive to prepare our students to understand the nature of a complex world and to thrive in a multicultural global society.
We believe joy can be found in giving and that satisfaction comes from creating lasting change that serves our community now and in the future. Fostering a community where all members find ways to give, serve and take action is essential to our Mission. By declaring philanthropy a core value of our school, we ensure we have the resources we need to support our mission-aligned and strategic priorities, today and tomorrow. In so doing, we also teach our students that they, too, can effect change and experience the growth and fulfillment that comes from contributing to the greater good.