Below is an overview of the process for applying to Sheridan for childen entering Grades 2-8.
(K & 1st Grade admissions information is here.)
- Submit application and application fee of $60.00 through the Ravenna Portal by January 16, 2019
- Submit all required file components by January 23, 2019.
- A completed file includes:
- Application & Application Fee (may be submitted prior to completing steps 2 – 7)
- Student Visit (can take place after 1/23/19)
- Parent Interview (can take place after 1/23/19)
- Parent Questionnaire
- School Transcript
- Student Writing Sample (4-8)
- Teacher Recommendations (2)
- WISC- IV, SSAT or ISEE Test Results
- A completed file includes:
Additional information on each component is below:
Children visit individually or in a small group with their current grade. They spend a half or whole day (depending on the grade). The visit includes a group activity and individual assessments in reading, writing and math. Most visits include lunch (provided by Sheridan); please let us know of any food allergies prior to the visit. Due to the length of the visit, parents may drop off and pick up their children.
The Parent Interview is an opportunity for you to ask questions about Sheridan, to further inform us about your child and for us to get to know you. Parent Interviews are conducted by an Admissions staff member or a Sheridan administrator. You may register for your interview through the Ravenna Portal.
The Parent Questionnaire is an opportunity to tell us about your child. Your answers to these questions provide us with a deeper understanding of your child. Parents may complete the questionnaire through the Ravenna Portal.
Current School Transcript
A transcript from the student’s current school detailing academic progress and attendance history.
Student Writing Sample
4th through 8th grade applicants only and can be submitted through the Ravenna Portal.
Two current teacher recommendations are required. Recommendations can be submitted through the Ravenna Portal.
- 2nd through 5th grade applicants are required to take the WISC-IV or WISC-V (Wechsler Intelligence for Children, Fourth Edition). Although Sheridan School does not endorse a particular testing center, these organizations/individuals are some that provide admissions testing for many area schools. You may wish to ask about the nature of the follow-up offered by each center. Please call the centers directly to schedule an appointment and to verify the cost of the required test.
- 6th through 8th grade applicants are required to take the Secondary School Admission Test (SSAT) or Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE).
Click here for individual testers and test centers. You may register with SSAT by calling their customer service office at 609-683-4440 weekdays 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. You can also register online at www.ssat.org. Applicants are urged to take the SSAT in November, December or January. The Sheridan School code for receipt of test scores is 7342. We prefer the SSAT but will accept ISEE.
Please note: Applicants may ask for fee waivers from testing centers and schools. Test prep will invalidate WPPSI-IV, and WISC-V test results. These tests may be given once in a calendar year.