Applying to Sheridan for Grades K-1
Below is an overview of the process for applying to Sheridan for childen entering Kindergarten or First Grade.
(Grade 2-8 information is here.)
- Kindergarten applicants must be five years of age by September 1 of the year they plan to attend.
- 1st grade applicants must be six years of age by September 1 of the year they plan to attend.
- Submit application and application fee of $60.00 through the Ravenna Portal by January 16, 2019
- Submit all required file components by January 23, 2019.
A completed file includes:
- Application & Application Fee (may be submitted prior to completing items 2-5)
- Student Visit (can take place after 1/23/19)
- Parent Interview (can take place after 1/23/19)
- Parent Questionnaire
- Teacher Recommendation
- Testing Results
Additional information on each component is below:
After you submit your application, please contact the Admissions Office at 202-362-7900 to schedule your child’s visit. Prospective students will visit in a small group for 75 minutes. The visit is informal and students should dress to play. Visit includes story time, cooperative play and an individual assessment. While the children are visiting, parents attend a meeting facilitated by a Sheridan parent ambassador.
The Parent Interview is an opportunity for you to ask questions about Sheridan, to further inform us about your child and for us to get to know you. Parent Interviews are conducted by an Admissions staff member or a Sheridan administrator. You may register for your interview through the Ravenna Portal.
The Parent Questionnaire is an opportunity to tell us about your child. Your answers to these questions provide us with a deeper understanding of your child. You may complete the questionnaire through the Ravenna Portal.
One current teacher recommendation is required. Recommendations can be submitted through the Ravenna Portal.
Kindergarten applicants are required to take the WPPSI-IV (Wechsler Preschool Primary Scale of Intelligence Test, Fourth Edition). First grade applicants, depending on their age, are required to take either the WPPSI-IV or the WISC-V.
Although Sheridan School does not endorse a particular testing center, these organizations/individuals are some that provide admissions testing for many area schools. You may wish to ask about the nature of the follow-up offered by each center. Please call the centers directly to schedule an appointment and to verify the cost of the required test.