The application deadline for 2021-2022 has passed. If you are interested in learning more about Sheridan or inquiring about available spaces, please contact Director of Admissions Margie Gottfried at email@example.com or 202-362-7900.
ADMISSIONS PROCESS FOR GRADES 2 - 8
- Submit application and application fee of $60.00 through the Ravenna Portal by January 15, 2021
- Submit required file components by January 22, 2020:
- Parent Questionnaire
- School Transcript
- Student Writing Sample (4-8)
- Teacher Recommendations (2)
- WISC-V, SSAT or ISEE Test Results (Optional)
- Virtual Student Meeting (may take place after January 22nd)
- Visit with a Middle School Class (Grades 6-8; optional)
- Virtual Parent Interview (may take place after January 22nd)
Application and Application Fee
Sheridan uses the Ravenna system for applications. Applications, which include general information about your family and your child, must be submitted through the Ravenna Portal by January 15, 2021. The application fee is $60.00.
THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS ARE DUE BY JANUARY 22, 2020:
The Parent Questionnaire is an opportunity to tell us about your child. Your answers to these questions provide us with a deeper understanding of your child. You may complete the questionnaire through the Ravenna Portal.
Current School Transcript
A transcript from the student’s current school detailing academic progress and attendance history.
Student Writing Sample
4th through 8th grade applicants only and can be submitted through the Ravenna Portal.
Two current teacher recommendations are required. Recommendations can be submitted through the Ravenna Portal.
- WISC testing for applicants to Grades 2-5 is optional. If your child has had testing administered, please feel free to submit the report and we will include it in their admission file.
- The Secondary School Admission Test (SSAT) or Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE) is optional for students in Grades 6-8. Registration for the SSAT can be done online at www.ssat.org or by calling their customer service office at 609-683-4440 weekdays 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Applicants are urged to take the SSAT in November, December or January. The Sheridan School code for receipt of test scores is 7342.
Virtual Parent Interview
The Virtual Parent Interview is optional for applicants to Grades 2-8. The interview is an opportunity for you to ask questions about Sheridan, to further inform us about your child and for us to get to know you. Parent interviews are conducted by an Admissions staff member or a Sheridan administrator. You may register for your virtual interview through the Ravenna Portal. A Zoom link will be provided in your interview confirmation and reminder emails.
Virtual Student Meeting
After you submit your application, you will be required to schedule your child’s virtual meeting and assessment through Ravenna. Prospective students will meet virtually 1:1 with a designated Sheridan teacher or administrator. Zoom instructions will be included in your meeting confirmation and reminder. Please contact Margie Gottfried if meeting using an online platform will be difficult.
Here is information to share with your child about what to expect at the meeting.
In addition to the Student Meeting, we encourage prospective students to attend one of the following:
“Get-Togethers” for Rising 2nd-5th Grade Students
In January, we will host virtual get-togethers for prospective students in Grades 2-5. Low-key and filled with games and fun, these get-togethers will give us an opportunity to interact with your child in an informal environment while in-person visits remain too difficult.
Organized by grade, each get-together will include four-to-six prospective students and take place via Zoom. Please visit Ravenna to select the date for your child’s get-together.
Rising 6th Grade Shadow Visits
We are excited to begin offering virtual shadow visits for rising 6th graders starting the week of January 11th. Students will have the opportunity to join one of the following classes between 8:20am-9:45am:
Mondays: Language Arts
Fridays: Social Studies
The schedule for your child’s virtual shadow visit will be as follows:
8:20am: Individual welcome meeting with our Middle School Head and/or a teacher
8:30am: Morning Meeting
9:25am: Follow-up meeting with Margie Gottfried from Admissions
To attend, your child will need to have access to a Google account as our virtual classes are held through Google Meet.