(Posted 5/15/20) When life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade and that’s just what we’ve done! We’ve turned our traditional Field Day into a virtual Field Week! Led by our ace Athletics team Calvin Snyder and Joe Burke, the fun will begin on Monday, May 18th, and culminate in an announcement of the winning team next Friday. Behind the scenes the activities have been selected, teachers are hard at work preparing instructional videos, and we are searching our closets for some red, white or blue!
For our newest families, Field Day is a beloved tradition where students and staff split into three teams (red, white, and blue) and compete in activities throughout the day. There is tug of war, potato sack races, soccer shootouts, a running relay and much, much more, including a faculty hula hoop challenge and the infamous 8th grade pudding drop! Each student is placed on a team their first year of school and they remain on that team throughout their time at Sheridan. If you want to see some fierce loyalty, just ask a Sheridan 8th grader which team they are on!
Here’s how Field Week will work:
- Field Week activites will take place during each student’s PE class period during the upcoming week. If your child misses PE or wants to double their fun, they can also do the activities on their own.
- The events will be listed in each grade’s learning plan. Written directions and “how to” videos from Sheridan teachers will be included.
- Every activity will be able to be completed using common household items.
- We will keep score for fun, and every event will be based on averages just in case a student is unable to participate in certain activities.
- Either you or your child will report your child’s scores using the forms linked below. These scoring forms will be available in the learning plans each day. Scores can be reported after the student finishes all events or after each individual event, whichever is easiest for you!
- The final scores will be announced in News & Notes next Friday.
- If you have any questions or need any support, please reach out to Mr. Snyder or Mr. Burke.
PHOTOS, VIDEOS & TEAM COLORS
Part of the fun of Field Day is cheering everyone on. Please help us keep up the team spirit by photographing or recording your child participating in a Field Week activity and send it to us via this link: Field Week Sharing. While it’s not required, we encourage everyone to wear their team colors when possible! You can find your child’s team color through the team roster link below.
Here are the team rosters: Field Day Teams