Our Enrichment Classes
Sheridan’s After-School Program offers many different Enrichment classes on a daily basis. We have fast-paced options like breakdancing and karate, more mellow options like cooking or ceramics, and everything in between! Here is the link to our registration. The deadline to register is January 16. Check out some information about our classes below:
- Ceramics (Grades K-8): By using familiar clay techniques and some new ones, students will learned hand building skills to create amazing clay projects in this class.
- Yoga (Grades 1-8): A restful, calming class including breathing, gentle flowing movements, passive and supported poses. Delve into greater self-expression, body-awareness, social skills, positive thinking, and environmental sensitivity with basic yoga poses, breathing exercises, and relaxation techniques.
- Chess (Kindergarten): Have fun playing chess while learning to have critical thinking, sportsmanship, and learning from our mistakes in a challenging and exciting way. Chess Wizards incorporate variations of chess games that build teamwork and foster a genuine enjoyment of a game over a thousand years old!
- Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced Chess (Grades 1-8): Have fun playing chess while learning to have critical thinking, sportsmanship, and learning from our mistakes in a challenging and exciting way. Chess Wizards incorporate variations of chess games that build teamwork and foster a genuine enjoyment of a game over a thousand years old!
- Flamenco Dance (Grades K-8): At any age Flamenco is a lot more than just dance. But for young children it can be a unique outlet for self expression. Classes carefully balance discipline with lots of fun and character development. A parent peeking in on a class might see students learning to stand tall and proud like a King or Queen,… or practicing their stomping in unison like a stampede of horses. Final steps are met with a triumphant shout from the group, “olé!”
- Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced Breakdance (Grades K-8): The Lab DC is the first dance school in the DMV specializing in Breakin’ (Breakdance). The Lab has a dance program that focuses on teaching, developing and fostering the dance techniques and foundations of Breakin’. Our goal is to have students create and express their own personal style and see progress after each class session. The program is foundation based and will build upon the previous weeks concepts and lessons. Each teacher at The Lab has over a decade of experience, and will use The Lab’s program to provide a fun, exciting, and educational class.
- Future Makers (K-8): Whether you’re new to making or an experienced inventor, FutureMakers presents a workshop that focuses on the skills that all makers need in order to create solutions to design challenges! Makers will explore real tools, materials, and creative technologies through a series of hands on projects resulting in innovative and original take home creations.
Cooking Thyme (K-8): Come make delicious masterpieces from scratch! All of our recipes are nut free, made from scratch and use a ton of fresh fruits and vegetables! Students receive an apron and a cookbook with all the recipes they master in class! As students learn to cook, math, science and geography come to life!
- Karate (Grades K-8): Kaizen Karate offers a class that emphasizes memory, fitness, teamwork, balance, discipline, focus, hand eye coordination, self control and leadership skills!
- Art Brains (K-8): The ART BRAINS program moves far beyond the average arts and crafts hour, inspiring kids to think independently, creatively problem-solve, and expand on their ideas in an atmosphere of high imagination and empowered experimentation. We know that kids engaged in the arts gain academic and problem-solving ability, confidence, interpersonal skills and empathy, and our creative curricula are designed with these qualities in mind.
Art Brains kids create within our thoughtful projects considering themes of science, history, anthropology, nature, story-telling and magic! They always experiment with a variety of materials, and will draw, paint, sculpt, build, write, and more in a single session. Some sessions include video, music, and performative projects too. Join us this Winter and activate your *art brains*! Students will: invent their own hieroglyphs, make valentines for the natural world, sculpt imaginary pet creatures, create the first-ever “Martian Drive-In” movie theater, fabricate tiny houses, create mixed media poem collages, make accessories for invented superheroes, and more! See our website for more info, photos, and parent testimonials: www.artbrainskids.com
Please note: Our Spring After-School Arts Festival will be held on April 11 at 6:30 p.m. This gathering is very informal, but is one of our favorite events where our students will perform what they learn in their classes. Friends & family are always welcome to come!